We are told to love the Lord with all our hearts, souls and mind (Matt 22:37; Deuteronomy 6:5) and that our obedience shows that we love him and we are IN him (I John 2:5).
Love the Lord with all your HEART, SOUL, and MIND…I’ve decided to call this the love and obedience triad. The dictionary describes a triad as “ a group or set of three connected people or things”. What Matthew 22:37 is telling us is that it takes a connection of our heart, soul and mind to love God fully and obey Him.
How do we love with all our heart, soul and mind? By what we think and do (Col 3:17). How do we direct our thoughts and actions toward the Lord? By praying that they are (Psalms 19:14).
The following are some good verses to help you develop a strong triad. Your triad will lead you to obey Him fully, showing that you love Him and are in Him (1John 2:5).
1. Whatever you do or say, do it as unto the Lord. – Colossians 3:17
2. Let the thing that I think and the things that I say be pleasing in your sight, oh Lord. -Psalms 19:14
3. If you love me, you will keep my commands – John 14:15
4. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. – 1 John 5:3
5. Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him: whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked. – 1 John 2:4-6
6. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. – 2 Corinthians 10:5
7. Set your minds on things above; not earthly things. – Colossians 3:2
8. Commit what you do to the Lord. – Proverbs 16:3
You’ll notice I didn’t expand on any of these verses. I’d love to bring YOU into the conversation. What do you think about these verses? What rings true for you? What gives you reason to pause? What do you have questions about? Comment below and let’s start the conversation.